Lentil Moussaka & Creamy Coconut Bechamel
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 red onion
1 red pepper
1 tbsp Belazu sundried tomato paste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp nutmeg
240g lentils in water (drained)
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp oil
80ml coconut yoghurt
Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
515 calories • 43g carbs • 30g fat • 21g protein
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / gas mark 7 and boil a kettle.
2. Finely chop the garlic. Finely dice the onion and red pepper. Slice the aubergine into very thin 1/2 cm rounds. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Drain and rinse the lentils.
3. Place the aubergine on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and place in the oven for 10 mins.
4. Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook the garlic, onion and red pepper for 5 mins until softened. Then stir in the ground cinnamon, oregano, sundried tomato paste, passata, lentils, spinach, half of the parsley and 100ml boiling water. Simmer for 5 mins.
5. In a bowl, mix together the coconut yoghurt, nutritional yeast and only a pinch of nutmeg (to taste). Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Add a little water to thin the mix if needed.
6. Spoon the lentils into an ovenproof dish, top with a layer of aubergine, then top with a thin layer of the coconut bechamel. Place in the oven for 15 mins until turning golden.
7. Serve the lentil moussaka on two warm plates.
View the full recipe here
Join the Mindful chefs at Live Well London. Book your tickets here