RECIPE: Pulled barbecue jackfruit & avocado salsa
Ingredients: Mindful Chef deliver all this
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 250g jackfruit (drained)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 80g brown rice
- Large handful of fresh coriander
547 calories • 82g carbs • 21g fat • 10g protein
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins, then drain.
2. Finely slice the red onion and dice the red pepper. Drain and rinse the jackfruit.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook 3/4 of the red onion for 5 mins until softening. Stir in the smoked paprika and ground cumin. Then add the jackfruit to the pan for 3 mins, breaking it up slightly with a wooden spoon.
4. To the jackfruit pan, add the red pepper, tomato puree, chipotle paste (add as much as desired), maple syrup, and 200ml boiling water. Place a lid on the pan and simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the jackfruit has softened. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper and pull the pieces of jackfruit apart with two forks. Add more water to thin the sauce if needed.
5. Meanwhile, to make the avocado salsa; peel and de-stone the avocado and roughly chop into small cubes. Roughly chop the coriander leaves. Place the avocado cubes, coriander and remaining red onion slices into a bowl with half of the juice from the lime and a pinch of sea salt.
6. Spoon the pulled barbecue jackfruit onto two warm plates alongside the rice and the avocado salsa. Drizzle over the remaining lime juice.
About the Mindful Chef
Backed by the likes of Andy Murray and Victoria Pendleton, Mindful Chef is the UK's favourite healthy recipe box and now deliver over 35,000 meals a week across the UK.
Order your Mindful Chef box here.