RECIPE: Winter Chicken Stew
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45mins
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 boneless chicken thighs (try opt for organic if you can)
- 2 pints chicken stock or bone broth (opt for organic if you can source this)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 carrots, halved lengthways and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, halved lengthways and cut into chunks
- 3 leeks, washed and thickly sliced
- A pinch of salt and pepper (to season)
Serving suggestion: serve with mashed potatoes and garden peas (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil on a medium heat in a stewing pot or large saucepan. Once heated, add the onion and garlic to sweat for a couple of minutes.
- After no more than 5 minutes, pour in the chicken stock and stir in the rosemary and thyme leaves.
- Now add in the chicken thighs and bring to the boil, gradually adding in the carrots, parsnips and leeks.
- Simmer on a medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
- Using a ladle, serve up the stew with each chicken thigh in a bowl and enjoy.
Note: you can cool and freeze any extra portions of this dish. Make sure you consume it within 2 months and always thaw the chicken at room temperature. Always reheat thoroughly in a pan.